Description: BP’s new chief executive, Robert Dudley, is an industry veteran with wide-ranging qualifications, but it was his American passport as much as his in-depth knowledge of Russia and his green credentials that sealed the deal for the board.
Questions for discussion:
- Why do you suppose a new chief executive was chosen?
- Do you agree with the claim that Robert Dudley was chosen as much for his passport as for his other credentials?
- Do you think this decision will make any difference in the public perception of BP?
- What other steps would you recommend to BP to help mend fences in the US and globally?
- Do you think BP will financially recover from this experience?
- Would you be a buyer or seller of BP shares?