Description: What’s this “Real Beauty Sketches” Dove commercial that everybody’s talking about? It’s a Web-only commercial that made its debut in mid-April as part of Dove’s ongoing “Campaign for Real Beauty.” In the spot, which is presented in both three- and seven-minute versions, a forensic sketch artist draws several women, based only on their descriptions. (They’re concealed behind a screen.) Then he draws a different portrait of each woman, based on descriptions by relative strangers. The resulting sketches are displayed side by side; in all cases the portraits inspired by strangers are more flattering than the women’s own versions of themselves. The tagline reads: “You are more beautiful than you think.”
Date: Apr 26, 2013
Questions for Discussions:
- Summarize the highlights in this report.
- After watching the ads, do you think the criticism is well-founded?
- What do you believe the intended messages are in the ads?
- What are some possible unintended messages?
- Do you think the campaign is socially responsible?