Description: The Canadian Chamber of Commerce has launched a campaign urging the federal government to roll back the excise duty rate on alcohol that is scheduled to increase on April 1. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government introduced the sin tax on beer, wine and spirits in the 2017. It is scheduled to automatically increase each year on April 1 by two per cent.
Date: Oct 02, 2020
Questions for discussion:
- Were you aware of a tax on alcohol at the producer level?
- Do you think most people would be aware of this tax?
- Do you think it is appropriate to tax alcohol at the producer level?
- How does the tax influence prices at the retail level?
- What would you advise businesses and governments?